Wednesday, January 27, 2010

St. Angela Merici (March 21, 1474 to Jan. 27, 1540)

When I was 16-years-old, long before Angelina Jolie was a household name, my maternal grandmother asked a favor of me. The reason it was so significant is that she never asked me for anything.
Her mother's name was Angelina (Angela for short) and so my grandmother suggested that I take it as my confirmation name. We were told the name had to be that of a saint (St. Angela Merici). I did choose it and because of that, she gave me her diamond.
Unfortunately, when I got to college, I desperately needed money, so I sold the ring. It hurts to think about it. Yet, I've come to terms by reminding myself that we are only here for a short time and worldly goods are things that the saints, especially, did without.
St. Angela Merici was born on March 21, 1474 in Desenzano del Garda, Italy. She was orphaned at age 10. When her sister died without receiving the Last Rites, St. Angela was so upset and joined the Third Order of St. Francis so that her constant prayers might help her sister's soul rest in peace. It worked because she later had a vision of her sister in heaven.
St. Angela Merici founded the Order of Ursulines in 1535. She died in Brescia on Jan. 27, 1540. Canonized: 1807. Her feast day is Jan. 27

No comments: