Thursday, January 7, 2010

St. Monica (c.322 to 387)


I'm fortunate that no one in my family has ever had a drinking problem. Maybe that's why I hadn't heard about Alcoholics Anonymous until I was in my thirties.
But, I've encountered enough people that say they haven't had a drink in 15 or 20 years and that makes me wonder how anyone could be so dependent on something that they have to eliminate it entirely from their lives. I hear just as many recovering alcoholics talk about going to meetings every week in order to function.
My idea is, instead of sitting in a church basement or library, why not invoke St. Monica, the patron saint of alcoholics into one's life? She is more powerful than any Alcoholics Anonymous leader. How do I know this? I pray to saints and they never fail to help me.
St. Monica was born in Northern Africa c.322. Perhaps her connection to alcohol is that as a child she made frequent visits to the family wine cellar. When hired help told her parents what she was doing, St. Monica was ashamed and immediately stopped drinking.
Years later she married a violent pagan. She was a patient, religious person and she dealt with her horrible husband as best she could. It paid off. Just before his death, he became a Christian.
St. Monica was the mother of St. Augustine of  Hippo, the brilliant theologian and philosopher. She died in 387 in Ostia, Rome and her feast day is Aug. 27. St. Monica is the patron saint of alcoholics and abuse victims.

No comments: