Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Sunday


"So they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. And behold, Jesus met them and said, "Greetings!" And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me." (Matthew 28: 8-20)

My dad always said the best part of his four or so years in the U.S. Air Force in England, was the weekend he spent in Rome, Italy. He was 19-years-old when he got to go to St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. And, although my parents kept a small replica of Michelangelo's "Pieta" on their bureau, I never thought that I would have to chance to see it in person and I did for the first time in 1991.
Michelangelo sculpted it in 1499 when he was just 23-years-old. Mary holds Jesus in her arms after the Crucifixion. Why am I mentioning this on Easter Sunday? Because this sorrowful yet beautiful piece is the prelude of his glorious resurrection.
Sure, going to Easter Vigil on Saturday night, having the traditional Italian Sunday dinner with my parents, brothers, cousins, grandparents, aunts, and uncles complete with lasagna, ham, rice pie, braided breads with colored eggs, and enough food to the whole neighborhood are all fond memories, but seeing the "Pieta" in person is an added extra that makes Easter even more meaningful to me.

No comments: