Tuesday, April 27, 2010

St. Peregrine Laziosi (1260 to May 1, 1345)


When I was in elementary school, I helped my neighbor, Kim, collect money for the American Cancer Society. I did this for years, so when we found out my grandfather was going to die from colon cancer in 1979, I remember my mother being upset for me because of my devotion to raising money for cancer research.
Nineteen years went by and my mother was dying from cancer. My cousin and I spent most of our time trying to find alternatives to chemotherapy and radiation for my mom. My cousin found out about a type of mud that she wanted my mom to spread on her stomach and I discovered an herb that would cleanse the colon and liver.
Still, my mother continued to do what the doctors told her as much as we begged her to try a natural alternative. I think she was afraid because time was moving quickly and eventually the doctors told her if she didn't do chemotherapy and radiation she would die a painful death. That was so cruel to tell her and so sad.
If only I had known about St. Peregrine Laziosi, the patron saint of cancer patients, I wouldn't be writing this today. And, my mother would have been spared the suffering.
St. Peregrine Laziosi was born in 1260 in Forli, Italy. He was a member of the Servite Order. He took it upon himself to do a penance in which he stood on his feet for 30 years, only sitting down when absolutely necessary.
It is said this caused varicose veins and cancer in his leg and foot. The night before his leg was to be amputated, St. Peregrine Laziosi prayed to Jesus who then appeared in a vision and touched his leg. When the saint awoke the cancer was gone and his leg and foot were healed.
St. Peregrine Laziosi died on May 1, 1345. His is generally depicted with cancer on his leg and his feast day is May 2.
Please spread the word to pray to St. Peregrine Laziosi.

No comments: