Sunday, April 11, 2010

Our Lady of Pompeii


The best way to describe how I felt after visiting Pompeii, Italy was sick to my stomach. And, I'm sure you won't find my words of caution in any guide book.
I was an intruder viewing the prominently displayed casts of victims of the 79 AD volcanic eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Adults, children, and small animals were in glass cases in parks and there was no admission charge to look at them. I'm glad it was only a day trip from Rome by way of Naples.
When Blessed Bartolo Longo, a former Satanic priest, arrived in Pompeii around 1873, he heard a voice in the distance say: "If you seek salvation promulgate the Rosary. This is Mary's message."
He devoted the rest of his life to this mission even bringing a painting of Our Lady of the Rosary to the town. Miracles happened in the name of Our Lady and to this day thanks is given in novenas.
The traditional novena takes place April 28 to May 7 and the feast is celebrated on May 8, although you can start the novena on any day.
I feel no trip to Pompeii is complete, without a stop at the Basilica of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary.

No comments: