Friday, October 29, 2010

St. Stanislaw Soltys Kazimierczyk (Sept. 27, 1433 to May 3, 1489)

   A major literary agent in Boston contacted me today to say that although she loves "A Sinner's Guide to the Saints" and will continue to read it, she doesn't like Roman Catholic things. Is this because she's Jewish?
  My intent is create a body of work that is spiritual and available to people of all religions. From the feedback that I'm getting, it exceeds anything I could have imagined. The saints are available to help all of us is, in part, my mantra.
  The literary agent added that my personal anecdotes and adventures to basilicas, shrines, and such throughout Europe. Canada, and the United States would make this book one of mass appeal because it encompasses so many things that cannot be replicated.
  She closed by saying she is certain an enthusiastic editor or agent will contact me soon.
  I'm surprised that in this day and age, someone would feel a prejudice toward Roman Catholics, especially someone of a religion that is so frequently bashed. I understand she has a personal and professional bias for working with authors of her own faith, so I respect her honesty.
  However, if you insult a Jew, it's antisemitic and considered a hate crime. If you insult a Roman Catholic, it seems to be okay.
  When I was a young girl attending Mass at St. Michael's Church in Georgiaville, Rhode Island, one of the priests was the late Father Edward Flannery, author of the "Anguish of the Jews: Twenty-Three Centuries of Antisemitism."
  Indeed, it was an honor to know Father Flannery.  His book was published a year after I was born in 1965 and it is still being reprinted. It was his life's mission to reconcile Christians and Jews. Sometimes I wonder if listening to Father Flannery speak influenced my decision to marry a Jewish guy (my now ex-husband who I've been divorced from for more than 20 years) when I was 22-years-old.
  There is no patron saint against religious prejudice, so I've decided to write about St. Stanislaw Soltys Kazimierczyk, one of the six most recent saints canonized on Oct. 17, 2010.
  He was born on Sept. 27, 1433 in Kazimierz, Poland. He joined the Canons Regular of the Lateran in 1456. St. Stanislaw Soltys Kazimierczyk was a priest who earned two doctorates in theology and philosophy from Jagiellonian University of Krakow. He was a good friend of St. John Cantius.
  St. Stanislaw Soltys Kazimierczyk died on May 3, 1489 and his feast day is May 5.

No comments: