Sunday, November 21, 2010

Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

               "All generations to come shall call me blessed." (Luke 1:48)

  As I organize boxes of Christmas decorations this weekend and pick through beach finds that I will make into ornaments, I'm excited about the coming holiday season. Little by little I'll ease into the merriment. I've been playing my Sheryl Crow "Home for Christmas" CD and pulling out festive winter clothing from last year that's been packed away. I also bought two dressy camisoles that will be perfect for upcoming parties.
  Today is the Feast of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, far more important than my preparing for the company masquerade party at the Biltmore Hotel or the annual wreath making morning with friends in Perryville.
  For a time, Mary's parents, Joachim and Anne could not conceive a child. Then, they received a heavenly message that they would indeed have a daughter. Tradition says that when the Blessed Virgin Mary was three-years-old, her parents took her to the Temple of Jerusalem to be consecrated to God. She was left there for some 10 years and then handed over to Joseph, her future husband, as her guardian.
  The Feast of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a time to remember the importance of the holiness bestowed upon Mary from the time of her conception throughout her life and beyond.
  In the words of St. Pio of Pietrelcina, "Always stay close to this Heavenly Mother because she is the sea to be crossed to reach the shores of Eternal Splendour."

No comments: