Friday, November 26, 2010

St. Louis IX (April 25, 1214 to Aug. 25, 1270)

   I have platinum blonde curly hair with gold highlights. That was until this afternoon. Every once in a while a hairdresser will tell me that they love my color, but perhaps I might want to add lowlights or tone it down.
  Sometimes it's almost intimidating and I feel forced into doing something I don't want to. So, today, when I didn't have a chance to go to the salon where I usually do, I let someone new touch my hair. The result? A horrible, almost grayish-tinged color at the root and scattered throughout as lowlights.
  I knew something wasn't right, when another hairdresser looked at me like something was wrong. I've been doing interesting things with my hair for 20 years. I also know that only bleach will lift the color of my dark roots.
  But, the new hairdresser insisted that she could lift it with color instead of  bleach. I made the mistake of letting her try and look what happened.
  Since I am going to Block Island tomorrow, I won't be able to visit my usual salon until Tuesday. I know that Danielle will be able to fix it. Still, I will have to walk around looking like I rinsed my hair in dishwater for the next four days. At least tomorrow I will be able to set up my appointment and that will make me feel better.
  This has happened to me several times before and I will not do it again. In the meantime, I will think about how happy my late mother would have been to have hair, no matter what color. She lost her beautiful, natural blonde hair to chemotherapy.
  St. Louis IX is a patron saint of hairdressers. He was born in Poisy, France on April 25, 1214 and was crowned the king at age 12, when his father King Louis VIII passed away.
  St. Louis IX's mother, Blanche of Castile, ruled as a regent until he was 22-years-old. He reigned for 44 years and made many contributions including spreading Christianity throughout France, establishing religious foundations, and was a patron of the arts. He married and had 11 children.
  St. Louis IX died on Aug. 25, 1270 and his feast day is Aug. 25.

No comments: