Friday, February 12, 2010

St. Isidore of Seville (c.560 to April 4, 636)

When I heard there was going to be a snowstorm early Wednesday, I was excited about the prospect of being stuck indoors. I would stay up late the night before and bake, watch DVDs, make valentines, drink a glass or two of wine, and chat with friends on Facebook. Then, since I wouldn't be able to get to work in the morning, I'd sleep late, catch up on my reading, do more fun things, and check back in on Facebook.
So I was surprised when I got home from work on Tuesday afternoon and couldn't get on Facebook. It said something like it was a technical problem and that it should be back on in a few hours. Sorry for the inconvenience. So, for more than 24 hours, I couldn't get on the site. It got to the point where I decided it was time to consult the saints. Sure enough. He existed. The patron saint of computers and the Internet.
St. Isidore of Seville was born in Cartagena, Spain in c. 560. That alone is funny enough for the obvious reasons. When his brother Leander died, St. Isidore succeeded him as the Bishop of Seville, a position he held for 37 years.
He wrote etymologies (a type of dictionary) and it is said that his work is similar in structure to a database. St. Isidore created a system of thought that is known as "flashes" today.
Now that I had discovered him and since nothing had worked to get me back on Facebook I would pray to St. Isidore no matter how ridiculous that sounded.
I asked for his divine intervention and I'll admit I was laughing. Then for the fiftieth time in the past 26 hours, I tried to get onto Facebook and it worked! The first thing post my thankfulness, following the tradition of recognizing a saint when they answer your prayers. I also promised St. Isidore that I would honor him on his feast day (April 4). But since it falls on Easter Sunday this year and, I'm so excited that he helped me, I thought it best to share my enthusiasm today.
St. Isidore died on April 4, 636. Canonized: 1598.

No comments: