Wednesday, February 24, 2010

St. Michael the Archangel


My family parish was St. Michael's Church in Georgiaville which is why I've always enjoyed anything that has to do with St. Michael the Archangel.
By the time I was four, the church where I was baptized was knocked down and replaced with a modern one down the street. I was told the young priest who baptized me wrote the song Roman's Eight (For To Those Who Love God) and went on to become a songwriter to the Pope. He has since written many spectacular operas.
My only recollection now of the old St. Michael's is following the Mass in a folded program and my dad taking me for a lemon-lime soda afterward.
St. Michael, who defends God's honor against the devil, is shown stepping on Satan or a serpent, and carrying a sword, scales, and banner. Since the time of the Apostles, he has been considered the patron saint of the church. His feast day, along with Archangels St. Gabriel and St. Raphael, is Sept. 29.
St. Michael is also the patron saint of police officers. I didn't know that until 10 years ago when a friend of mine, who was a police sergeant, showed me a large tattoo of St. Michael the Archangel on his upper arm.
"He is there to protect me," he said.

No comments: