Saturday, February 27, 2010

St. Lucy (283 to 304)

I've worn contacts since junior high school and I've never experienced any kind of problems with my eyes. So, when I woke up with a large bubble on the white of my right eye, it was cause for concern. For more than a week, I went from doctor to doctor. I was given antibiotics and even had it drained but it would not go away. One doctor even said to me that she had never seen anything like it before.
I'm more of a fan of the saints than modern medicine, so I was certain if I prayed to St. Lucy, she would help. The next morning I called a practice near my house and was given an appointment that day. The physician took one look at me and said it was a cyst which he would remove the next day.
"It's going to be fine. Your eye will be as good as new in a week," he said.
When I checked out with the receptionist, I looked at the date. It was within 24 hours of St. Lucy's feast day which is Dec. 13. 
The next day when the cyst was removed, I felt the incision but by focusing on St. Lucy it was a breeze.
She was born in Syracuse, Italy in 283 and was a young Christian martyr. St. Lucy (also known as St. Lucia) is celebrated in a modern day festival in Sweden filled with sweets and lights. A young girl wears a crown of candles on her head and a white robe. In the procession other girls carry candles.
St. Lucy died in Syracuse in 304 and is the patron saint of eyesight. Canonization: pre-congregation.

No comments: