Friday, March 19, 2010

St. Joseph (1st century AD)


St. Joseph is the father of Jesus and the patron saint of the Universal Church. He lived during the 1st century AD. It is believed he died in Nazareth before Jesus began his public ministry since there is no mention of St. Joseph during that time or at the Crucifixion or the Resurrection.
He was a descendent of David, the King of Israel. St. Joseph was a carpenter and is known as the patron saint of house sellers (bury a statue of him upside down in your front lawn and watch what happens), travellers, and against doubt and hesitation (who wouldn't be after being told that their son was conceived by the Holy Spirit).
St. Joseph's feast day is March 19. The tradition of zeppole or St. Joseph's Day cakes began in Italy. It's a cream-filled pastry.
One of my favorite things about today is a story my third grade teacher told our class about the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano.
You can learn about it here. When I finally was old enough to travel on my own, I made a trip to California and visited the Mission.
Any mention of March 19 would not be complete without saying it's my cousin Cindy's birthday.
When I almost lost my life in a car accident in 2006, Cindy and my dad were the two people whose images flashed in front of me. That's the best way to describe how much my cousin means to me. Our lives have paralleled in so many ways and I believe it will continue for as long as we are here on Earth.

No comments: