Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick (c.387 to March 17, 461)


When I was a child, I always knew my birth month had arrived, when I turned the calendar page to find leprechauns, shamrocks, and all things Emerald Isle. And, it didn't matter that I wasn't Irish. I was Roman Catholic and could celebrate St. Patrick, too!
He was born c.387 in Bonaven Taberniae, Kilpatrick, Scotland to parents Calpurnus and Conchessa who were Romans.
At age 16, St. Patrick was seized from his father's farm by Irish raiders who sold him into pagan slavery in Ireland. He lived there until he was 22 then escaped and returned to his family. St. Patrick went back to Ireland after he was an ordained bishop.
Legend says that he banished the snakes from Ireland and taught the Irish about the Trinity using a shamrock. He is one of the most beloved saints of all time.
St. Patrick died at Saul on Strangford Lough on March 17, 461. It is thought that he was buried at Down Cathedral in Downpatrick along with St. Brigid and St. Columba. The trio are the patron saints of Ireland.
His feast day, as we all know, is March 17.

No comments: