Tuesday, August 31, 2010

St. Camillus de Lellis (May 25, 1550 to July 14, 1614)


When I awoke, I was wearing only a string bikini lying in the back of an ambulance with no identification on my way to a hospital in Islamorada, Florida.
The handsome EMT said that I had collapsed from dehydration as I was getting change for the soda machine in the lobby at the hotel in Key Largo. By the time the ride was finished, I learned we were the same age (26), he was married with two children, and that he liked my body (especially my stomach).
It was a Saturday morning and the emergency room nurses explained that the two iced teas I drank the night before weren't enough to keep me hydrated on a summer day in Florida.
I was on vacation alone, so I begged them not to call my family in Rhode Island. ER released me after four hours on the condition that I would stay out of the sun for three days. Of course I didn't listen and managed just fine.
The taxi ride back to the hotel made me feel a little uncomfortable, but the driver assured me that he picked up scantily clad women several times a day. Luckily, my wallet was still where I left it by the pool and I had money to pay him.
St. Camillus de Lellis is the patron saint of nurses and hospital workers. He was born in Abruzzi, Italy on May 25, 1550. Records show that he was 6'6" tall.
St. Camillus de Lellis, who was a soldier, lost all his money to gambling and took a job working on a building for the Capuchins. They converted him and he tried several times to join their order but couldn't because of a leg injury while at war.
He was taken to San Giacomo Hospital for the incurable in Rome for treatment. But, he is also said to have had supernatural healing powers that he used to help others.
St. Camillus de Lellis is the founder of the Order of Clerks Regular Ministers to the Sick better known as the Camillians.
He died on July 14, 1614 in Genoa and his feast day is July 14.

No comments: