Tuesday, August 10, 2010

St. Hunna (? to 679)


"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

I recently committed what I thought was a venial sin. I was at the laundromat (my summer house only has a clothesline) and while I was waiting for the washer to finish, I noticed some copies of sketches for sale that depicted views of the seaside town.
The facility caters to the tourists, most are from Connecticut and New York, so I felt that if I took one drawing, it really wouldn't matter. No one would even notice. Besides, I live in the town all year long.
The laundry woman wasn't there at the time and there were no other patrons, so I climbed on the washing machine and took one down. To be honest, I don't even remember what it was a drawing of. Furthermore, this is so unlike my normal behavior, and perhaps if the sketches were priced I would have left some money.
Now, since I've been more mindful of my religion lately, I thought back to when I was making my Confirmation which was the last time I studied sins. If my memory serves me correctly, a mortal sin would be murder and a venial sin is forgivable like cheating on a quiz or perhaps taking a drawing from a laundromat.
(Notice I didn't say steal. That's more like what a robber does at a convenience store).
So, rather than run off to the confessional on Saturday afternoon (that would be the easy way out), I did my own research.
The above quote from 1 Corinthians would constitute me a thief making it a mortal sin and, therefore, I would not go to Heaven (unless being a Roman Catholic, I go to Confession).
Yet, I've read that in order for something to be a mortal sin it must be a grave matter, committed with deliberate and complete consent, and committed with full knowledge. To me, what I did was not a grave matter, so I'm absolved.
When I mentioned it to a friend, he said that not only did I commit a sin, but I took another person's property thereby causing them the loss of a small amount of income.
So, I've decided I'm going to return the drawing and write about the patron saint of laundry workers and laundresses.
Her name is St. Hunna. She was the daughter of the duke of Alsace, France. After marrying Huno of Hunnwetyer, St. Hunna devoted her life to helping the poverty stricken in Strasbourg, France.
She would help them bathe and do their clothing. Her nickname was the Holy Washerwoman.
St. Hunna died in 679. Canonized: 1520. Her feast day is April 15.

No comments: