Friday, August 6, 2010

St. Crispin and St. Crispinian (3rd century)


It's a hot Friday afternoon. I just got out of work and I'm sitting on my porch in Perryville in a string bikini with a glass of chilled Riesling. As my neighbors dress for cocktail parties, cars speed through the four-way stop sign across the street, and people hurry to the supermarket to buy groceries for tonight's cookouts, I'm off in a faraway land thinking about San Crispino, one of my favorite places in Rome, Italy for gelato.
Of course, nothing beats the food in the Eternal City, but for the first few days that I'm there, I have gelato for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I always get a cup and since it's kind of a tradition in Italy to have a couple of flavors at a time, I do try to mix and match. Plum, licorice, caramel, grapefruit: I'll take just about any flavor.
And even if the gelato weren't good, I'd still remember the place simply by the name.
San Crispino translates to St. Crispin who born a twin to St. Crispinian in the 3rd century. Together the brothers preached Christianity to the Gauls by day and worked as cobblers at night. Because of this, they were tortured and beheaded in Rome in 286.
And, no, St. Crispin and St. Crispinian are not the patron saints of my favorite dessert. They are the patron saints of cobblers, tanners, and leather workers and their feast day is Oct. 25.

No comments: