Thursday, May 6, 2010

St. Eligius (c.588 to Dec. 1, 660)


When it's time to fill up my gas tank, I go to the full service station just down the street from my house. Usually in the early morning, there's a young girl who works the pumps.
"I'm so glad to see you," she said to me at 6:30 this morning. "How was your trip to Alaska?"
Just as I was about to say fantastic and a nice change from Narragansett, a guy in the car next to me yelled out to her "hurry the F up, I'm late for work."
"I get this all the time," she said in her always calm demeanor. "But, I love my job."
And, this got me to thinking that we should be more mindful of how we treat the people that help us each day. Gas station attendants are not slaves.
St. Eligius, who was a bishop of Noyon-Tournai, France, is the patron saint of gas station attendants. He was born in Limoges c.588 and spent 20 years converting pagans in Flanders to Christianity. He founded several monasteries. St Eligius died in Noyon on Dec. 1, 660.
He is also the patron saint of horses and goldsmiths. His feast day is Dec. 1.

No comments: