Tuesday, May 11, 2010

St. Joachim (1st century)


I was fortunate to know both my grandfathers.
Grandpa Fred's parents were from Quebec, Canada and he was the eighth child. He worked in the mills in Esmond and had a deep devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Grandpa Anthony, an architect, built homes that were affordable and he would literally give them away.
"Pay me when you have the money," Grandpa Anthony would say. He was so kind and so generous. I think he did this because he knew what it was like to go without. He came to this country in steerage.
The night before Grandpa Anthony died, Pope John Paul II's visit to Boston was televised. Grandpa Anthony did not want to see "the damn Pope. Just check my lottery tickets on the daily numbers at 7:30 p.m.," he said from his deathbed. "I might win tonight!"
St. Joachim, who was born in the first century, is the patron saint of grandfathers. He was the husband of St. Anne and the father of the Virgin Mary. He died in Jerusalem. Canonized: pre-congregation. His feast day is July 26 along with St. Anne.

No comments: