Sunday, May 9, 2010

St. Margaret of Cortona (1247 to Feb. 22, 1297)


My mother passed away on Aug. 2, 1999. I still miss her and I always will. In some way, she is in my thoughts each day. Time does not heal all pain. My opinion is that it was said in order to calm people down when someone they love passes away.
To keep from being sad all day, I've chosen to celebrate Mother's Day in a different way. Let's reflect on single mothers for a change.
Their patron saint is St. Margaret of Cortona. She was born in Tuscany, Italy in 1247. When she was 17-years-old she moved in with a gentleman named Arsenio. He refused to marry her and she had a child out of wedlock.
One day when Arsenio didn't return home, St. Margaret of Cortona found out that he had been murdered. So, to heal her pain she joined the Third Order of St. Francis. She died in Cortona on Feb. 22, 1297. Canonized:1278. Her feast day is Feb. 22.
St. Margaret of Cortona is also the patron saint of tramps and third children.

(Mother's Day Memorial: Mom, you will always be remembered. Aug. 2, 1999)

No comments: