Friday, May 7, 2010

St. Francis Borgia (Oct. 28, 1510 to Sept. 30, 1572)


Many times I'd awaken in the middle of the night to the sound of my now ex-husband playing the theme music from "The Exorcist" on the piano. He knew I was afraid of the movie, like most Roman Catholics, and he being Jewish found it amusing.
So, when he cried hysterically a couple of years later when I filed for divorce, I thought about the many cruel things he had done to me and all but laughed in his face.
Although St. Francis Borgia is the patron saint against earthquakes, one of the creepiest paintings I've ever seen is by Francisco Goya which shows him performing an exorcism.
St. Francis Borgia was born in Valencia, Spain on Oct. 28, 1510. He was the third Superior General of the Society of Jesus and a Spanish Jesuit. He died in Rome, Italy on Sept. 30, 1572 and his feast day is Oct. 10.

No comments: