Saturday, May 29, 2010

St. Eric IX of Sweden (? to May 18, 1160)


This afternoon, when I was at Christina's clothing store in Watch Hill, Rhode Island, I found a package of tiny wax soda bottles filled with juice. It was something I hadn't seen or tasted since I was a child. And, it made me just as excited as smelling the pomegranate perfume or checking out the Free People summer dresses.
So tonight, when I showed up at my brother and sister-in-law's house at 10 p.m., I was thrilled that my young nephews, Jack and Eric, were still awake. I played Wii with them then took out the wax soda bottles.
"How do I do this?" Eric asked.
I told him to pick a color (green) and then to bite the top off the bottle and drink. Down, it went. Then he had a yellow one and a red one. Jack drank a orange one and saved the blue one.
Next, Eric decided to make alphabet letters.
"What should I write?" the four-year-old asked. "I know how to spell things."
Today's saint is Eric IX of Sweden who wrote the Code of Uppland (Eric's Law). He helped to convert pagans and spread Christianity throughout Finland. St. Eric IX of Sweden's reign was 1155 to 1160 when he was beheaded near Uppsala on May 18.
His feast day is May 18.

No comments: