Monday, July 5, 2010

Blessed Fra Angelico (c.1395 to Feb. 18, 1455)


In the production department where I work, I've seen four artists fired in the past year. And, if that wasn't enough, each one desperately needed the money. There was a newborn child, car payments, or no savings.
One of the most skilled religious artists, without a doubt, was Blessed Fra Angelico. He was born Guido di Pietro in Rupecanina, Italy c. 1395.
Blessed Fra Angelico was a Dominican friar at a monastery in Fiesole. He reached his height of fame during the early Italian Renaissance. I've seen much of his work during my travels throughout Italy including "The Annunciation" (1450) at the monastery of San Marco and "The Descent from the Cross" (1443) at Museo di San Marco, both in Florence.
Blessed Fra Angelico died on Feb. 18, 1455 in Rome and is the patron of Roman Catholic artists. He was beatified by Pope John Paul II on Oct. 3, 1982.
My co-worker, Audrey, just returned from a solo week in Italy and she said she felt guilty in a way for being in a place so beautiful with no one to share it with.
I had the same thought the first time around. Now I realize, had I been with someone else, my experiences might not have had the same intensity.

No comments: