Friday, July 9, 2010

Feast of the Holy Guardian Angels


"For I say to you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father who is in heaven." (St. Matthew 12:10)

Today, as little children frolic in the surf, build sandcastles topped with seashells, and eat scoops of strawberry ice cream, my friend is dealing with the devastating loss of her two-week-old nephew.
Why did this baby boy who brought so much joy to his family die? Why do some people live well into their nineties?
"It was God's will," just doesn't cut it for me.
I haven't spoken with my friend since this happened and I'm not sure what I will say when I do.
The Feast of the Holy Guardian Angels is celebrated on Oct. 2. It is said that a guardian angel is with us at birth, follows us through life, comforts us at death, and carries us to the afterlife. I know mine was with me when I walked away from a horrible car crash without a scratch on my body four years ago.
As St. Augustine said, "Go where we will. Our angels will always be with us."

No comments: