Thursday, July 1, 2010

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta (Aug. 26, 1910 to Sept. 5, 1997)


"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one." (Blessed Teresa of Calcutta)

As I prepare for a colonoscopy tomorrow, I am ashamed to complain about the hunger I'll experience during the next day and a half.
Yet, there is something that comes to mind.
My dad never told me much about his childhood, however my mom made it a point to let me know he went to bed hungry at night. I'm not sure why she told me, but it made me feel afraid and sad.
My paternal grandparents were French Canadian immigrants. As I see it, being poor has nothing to do with how much faith a person has.
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta (Mother Teresa of Calcutta) was born Agnese Gonxhe Bojaxhiu on Aug. 26, 1910 in the Republic of Macedonia. She was of Albanian heritage and founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata, India in 1950. Today, there are 4,500 sisters in 133 countries.
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta worked with the poor, sick, dying, and orphaned winning the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979. She retired as head of the Missionaries of Charity on March 13, 1997 and died six months later on Sept. 5.
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta was canonized on Oct. 19, 2003. Her feast day is Sept. 5 and her patronage is World Youth Day.

No comments: