Wednesday, July 7, 2010

St. Colette (Jan. 13, 1381 to March 6, 1447)


I didn't plan on writing about this today, but I am doing so because I want to help other people. Please, if you haven't already: get a colonoscopy!
This afternoon while I was at work, I got a phone call from my doctor's office saying that the polyp that was removed last Friday during my colonoscopy was benign and precancerous. For a second, I was shocked. How could this be? I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, I'm skinny yet fit, and I don't smoke.
Then, I calmly asked what it meant.
It was explained that hyperplastic polyps have virtually no chance of becoming cancerous, but an adenoma polyp, like the one I had, do, if not removed. I was told that I should have another colonoscopy in three years. Because my mother died from colorectal cancer at a young age, I asked if I could have the procedure done again in two years and was told that would be fine.
So, now I am making a lifestyle change. No more red meat. I don't care how good a hamburger tastes; it's not worth it.
Today reminded me of the day my mother said she wished she could spend just one day with her late father.
"I'd do anything, to see him again," she said.
I couldn't comprehend it at the time, but now I do. A parent's love is the best comfort.
St. Colette is the patron saint of loss of parents. She was born Nicolette Boylet in Picardy, France on Jan. 13, 1381. St. Colette was orphaned as a teenager and became a Franciscan tertiary. In 1406, she had a dream which encouraged her to create a reformed group of nuns of the Order of St. Clare of Assisi called the Colettine Poor Clares.
St. Colette died on March 6,1447 and her feast day is March 6.

No comments: