Thursday, September 9, 2010

St. Pirmin (c.700 to Nov. 3, 753)


As I biked down the street at twilight yesterday, I recognized the familiar smell of Concord grapes in the breeze. I also saw a black and white domesticated rabbit slip away into a grove.
So, after my ride was finished, I returned to the spot with a plastic bag and a mission.
A woman walking by introduced herself as my neighbor, Pat, and said that the grapes were delicious and the exact kind used to make Manischewitz wine. She said that they were also growing along the bike path in South Kingstown and I might as well pick as many as I could since the wild turkeys would end up eating them.
I went across the street to the rabbit hollow that is surrounded by grapes vines and thought about how I'd never seen that type of grape before.
When I got home, I looked them up online and found out they were toxic pokeberries (note for consumption).
I hadn't eaten any. I just hope that Pat didn't give the same words of advice to neighorhood children.
The Concord grapes I was smelling may have been located further into the wooded area.
St. Pirmin is a patron saint against poisoning. He was born in Spain c.700 and thought to be a Benedictine monk. Most information about him shows that his work had a strong Celtic influence or that he was of Irish descent.
St. Pirmin is the founder of the monastery of Reichenau-Pirminius. He wrote a book of theology and ethics against superstition. He died in Hornbach, Germany on Nov. 3, 753 and his feast day is Nov. 3.

(Happy Birthday, Blessed Virgin Mary!)

No comments: