Monday, June 21, 2010

St. Columbanus (540 to Nov. 23, 615)


"Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way." (Mars Bonfire)

I was told, when I was five-years-old, that I'd be going to the doctor's office and it wasn't going to hurt. After having a boil lanced off my tiny butt cheek, I left the doctor's office in Providence and ran across a main intersection.
An 18-year-old motorcyclist, who had the right of way, just missed killing me. He pulled over to the side of the road, shaken and in tears, as my mother and grandmother caught up with me.
I can barely remember the incident and it was only time my grandmother ever yelled at me. I was given a spanking.
St. Columbanus is the patron saint of motorcyclists. He was born in West Leinster, Ireland in 540. It is said he was so striking in looks that he had to resist the temptation of being with scores of women. He was an Irish missionary who founded monasteries throughout Europe. His writings are included in the Monastic Rule of St. Columbanus.
In art, St. Columbanus is often shown taming a bear. He died in Bobbio, Italy on Nov. 23, 615. His feast day is Nov. 23.

No comments: