Wednesday, June 23, 2010

St. Drogo (1105 to 1185)


"Your looks will only get you so far," my mom would tell me when I was a teenager. "You'll see what I mean some day."
Maybe she was right, but I like to take care of myself, maybe just not to the point of vanity.
Sometimes, I can't imagine what it would be like to live without small luxuries, although, I understand why St. Francis of Assisi gave up his worldly possessions. So, if need be, I could do it.
As far as being ugly, you'd think that only in fairytales the grotesque would be hidden away in a cave or other type of dwelling. But, for St. Drogo, it was a reality.
He was born in Flanders, France in 1105. His mother died in childbirth and he blamed it on himself.
St. Drogo was orphaned as a teen, worked for a time as a shepherd, and made many pilgrimages to Rome, Italy. He was able to bilocate, being in two places at one time.
When he was in his twenties, St. Drogo received unsightly bodily affliction which caused him to be so ugly that he terrified anyone who laid eyes on him. He had to be locked away in a cell for the rest of his life.
St. Drogo lived by a church and was brought the Eucharist and a small amount of food each day which he received through a tiny window. He died in Sebourg in 1185 and his feast day is April 16.
St. Drogo is the patron saint of repulsive and unattractive people.

4 comments:

mattman75 said...

Hi marilyn matt here... The information you imparted in your article about St Drogo's life is quite accurate. Yes, St.Drogo aquired a malicious skin condition that disfigured his face while on one of his many pilgrimages to Rome. St. Drogo became an anchorite and a cell was built onto the side of a church where he recieved the Blessed Sacrament through an opening to the inside of the church. Anchorites once played an important part in church life during the middle ages but not all anchorites faired well psychologically under such difficult living conditions. However, the majority of anchorites did and gave much sought after advice to the church faithfull through an opening to the outside world attached to their cells. One could suppose that because St. Drogo was inflicted with a facial difference he was relegated the vocation of anchorite by his church superiors but this was not the case. St Drogo was a very holy man and chose his vocation voluntarily. He could have easily become a monk and lived within the confines of a monastery with fellow monks who would have easily accepted his facial difference. I am facially different and pray to St Progo daily asking for his intercession on my behalf to petition God for strength and guidance. Thanks for writing about St Prodo marilyn. I appreciate it very much. Have a good day.

Jill said...

Thank you, Marily, for including this wonderful saint. This is my first time visiting your site and won't be the last. =)

And thank you, Matt, for the further details and clarification. Persevere in the Lord. You will surely be kept in my prayers.

Marilyn said...

Matt, I am glad you enjoyed the blog entry, & thank you for sharing more information about St. Drogo.

Jill, also very nice of you to visit the site and post a comment.

Thank you, both!

Cliff said...

Just discovered your blog. I like. I'm thinking you might enjoy my similarly themed one as well:

http://reallystrangesaints.blogspot.com/