Friday, June 11, 2010

St. Urban of Langres (327 to c.390)

Smack dab in the middle of New Bedford, Mass., I encountered the unexpected. A Chardonnay grape winery called Travessia. It was my first wine tasting and sales manager walked me through it smoothly as I tried six samples. By the fourth one, I was wine-induced silly.
"I write a blog called A Sinner's Guide to the Saints," I explained. "I'll mention this place tomorrow."
The white wine was amazing (made only with Bay State grapes).
And with so many patron saints of vine-growers, vine-dressers, and vintners, who would I choose? St. Urban of Langres, of course. I was in an urban winery!
He encompasses all of the wine industry, perhaps because his story is unique. St. Urban of Langres was born in France in 327. The legend is that he hid from his persecuters in a vineyard. And, the vine-dressers who concealed him later converted to Roman Catholicism.
St. Urban of Langres, who was a bishop, died c.390. He is also the patron saint against blight and alcoholism. His feast day is April 2.

No comments: